Thursday, February 2, 2023

 


Sedentary Immigration 



·         According to Prensky, what is the immigrant/native divide and how has it affected the way students learning? 

Prensky uses the relatable terms “digital immigrants and digital natives” to describe the contrast in learning and communication between those born into the digital age, and those born prior. In general, those born in the digital age have adopted technology as a staple-medium for leaning and communicating. Dissimilarly, those born before the implementation of modern communications technology were taught and learned much differently, Today, the “legacy” model for learning and communicating is essentially foreign for younger generations, known as the digital natives. Likewise, digital immigrants generally have difficulties learning the new language of natives, and when they do, their “accents” betray their immigration. Consequently, Prensky is essentially saying that the communications between the two groups is wanting, if not detrimental. Prensky uses the examples of games, speed of delivery, and random access, to show that digital natives have developed different ways of learning, ways foreign the the immigrant, but still very effective. And this is why the gap in communications between the two groups is detrimental, the learning potential of digital natives is not being maximized in our education system.  


 

·         According to Prensky, what category do you fall into and how has this affected your learning?

According to Prensky, I fall somewhere in the middle of being a digital immigrant/native. While I definitely have an accent at times, my early immigration has helped to smooth the transition, and a good network of family and friends also helps me to make sense of the changes. Additionally, being an e-campus student has done wonders for my digital literacy. The various formats, requirements, and opportunities provided by e-campus has left me all but proficient in most forms of modern communication and learning. Subsequently, I currently do my utmost to embrace the benefits of our new language. Though, to be transparent, it was not always easy. Extreme frustration or anxiety often made the learning process difficult, even almost impossible at times. Technical difficulties, in a zoom meeting for example, that caused me a near melt down is something I’ve heard younger students scoff at. “It happens” I’ve been told, “nothing to stress about”. In sticking with Prensky’s theme, I think my zoom example is akin to not understanding cultural norms as an immigrant. Thankfully, the natives have been kind to me, and I’ve been fortunate enough find some efficacy using the new language.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment